Tuesday, November 10, 2009

PB 16 miles in 2:47

An ice bath with coffee is the only way to do it.
When I hear the letters P.B., I often think about Marley's saggy hound dog lips. One is pink and the other is black. I frequently have to wipe the hanging dog slobber from her floppy P.B.'s. Sometimes when I hear the letters, I often think back to my college days of eating P.B. straight from the jar. These days, P.B. has a new meaning and I'm happy to report that I set my Personal Best this weekend for our 16-mile run. I ran it in 2 hours 47 minutes.

It didn't come without hard work and suffering. Actually, the run wasn't bad; it was the 10-minute ice bath after that SUCKED. Yeah, that's right. I would rather run three hours, than take a 10-minute ice bath to soothe my aching muscles. First, I filled the tub with cold water. I made sure to just cover my legs. Then, I poured a big bag of ice on top. I wrapped a towel around my upper torso and drank hot coffee, as goose bumps began to cover my body. I shook uncontrollably for the entire period. I thought to myself that if I ever wanted time to slow down, then this was the way to do it. Ten minutes seemed like an eternity compared to the nearly three-hour scenic tour through south Austin that I had just experienced. Near the ten-minute mark, I started laughing at myself because only a crazy person would do this. I was sure it wouldn't work. You know, I was WRONG. My legs felt great the next day. In fact, my hips were the only sore parts on my whole body. I guess next time I'll fill the water up a little higher to cover my hips too.

No comments: